Dr Holt is a Consultant Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist working at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where he is a Deputy Medical Director for Specialty Medicine and Surgery. Andrew has a particular clinical interest in liver and bowel diseases and runs a regular private endoscopy list at Edgbaston hospital & clinics at the Priory Hospital. He holds NHS clinics at hospitals in Birmingham, Hereford, Gloucester, S.Wales and the Isle of Man and is a partner in the Birmingham Liver Clinic.
Andrew offers a discreet and professional service. His clinic offers FibroScan™ examination of the liver – a non-invasive means of measuring liver damage without recourse to biopsy. NICE recommend that heavy drinkers should have a regular FibroScan™ to assess for liver damage (NG50) as this doesn’t always show up on blood tests.
Dr Holt also uses blood markers (the enhanced liver fibrosis test - ELF) to assess the risk of cirrhosis in fatty liver disease. Andrew’s clinic also offers upper GI endoscopy and ERCP.
Dr Holt graduated with an Honours degree in Medicine in 1996 and is accredited with the GMC as a Consultant in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. He started working at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in 2002 and now practices as a Consultant Physician. The Birmingham Liver Unit, which is world-famous and one of the largest liver clinics in Europe, is highly regarded by patients and specialists alike. Andrew is very happy to see self-funding patients as well as insured clients.
Clinics: Tuesday afternoon and evening and Thursday evening (by appointment only)
Please direct any queries to: Gill Wyatt at E: [email protected] or his NHS PA, Pat Bailey E: [email protected].
- Investigation of abnormal liver tests including FibroScan™
- Alcohol-related liver disease including cirrhosis
- Assessing heavy drinkers for liver damage with FibroScan™
- Measuring the risk of liver cirrhosis with ELF blood markers in fatty liver disease
- Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C infections including antiviral therapy
- Fatty liver and other metabolic disease
- Cirrhosis and liver cancer (HCC/Cholangiocarcinoma)
- Investigation and treatment of jaundice
- ERCP and upper GI endoscopy
- Liver Transplantation
- Bowel and Liver disorders
- Liver disease
- General bowel disorders and upper GI endoscopy (including ERCP)
- Pancreas and hepatobiliary cancers
- Liver cancer
- Private assessment for liver transplantation
- Collegiate member of the Royal College of Physicians of London
- Member of the British Association for the Study of the Liver (BASL)
- European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL)
- British Viral Hepatitis Group
- Midlands Gastroenterology Society
- British Society of Gastroenterology