Mr Atul Kusanale is a Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon with interest in Head and Neck cancer and General OMFS. He works at the University Hospitals Dorset. He is registered as a specialist oral and maxillofacial surgeon with the GMC and the GDC. He currently holds the position of Site-specific Group lead for head and neck cancer in Dorset and performs sentinel lymph node service in the county for head and neck cancer (Melanoma and Oral Cancer).
He has a dental post graduate degree and he graduated in Medicine from St Georges University of London in 2006.
He then completed his basic surgical training in the South West London and Thames rotation. His Higher surgical training was completed on the south coast rotation in 2014. Mr Kusanale has completed fellowships in Temporomandibular Joint Surgery in Vienna with Professor G Undt and in Orthognathic surgery in South Africa with Professor Renyeke. He undertook Sialendoscopy training in Geneva for salivary gland disease.
Mr Kusanale was ranked first in the national selection for the Head and Neck Interface fellowship which is regulated by the Joint committee of Surgical training (accountable to the GMC). As a result, he has gained experience in ENT and plastic Surgery as well. He completed his training in Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow arguably the busiest unit in the country for head and neck cancer and facial reconstruction.
Mr Kusanale has experience as a lecturer both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He continues to pursue teaching the higher surgical trainees in Maxillofacial surgery as well as undergraduate medical students and currently is Assistant Professor for St George’s University School of Medicine.
He is a faculty member for head and neck reconstruction cadaveric course at the Royal College of Edinburgh. He has successfully conducted training workshops for facial reconstructive surgery and head and neck cancer in India for last 5 years and facilitated collaborative work in South Asia. He was a member of the selection committee to appoint head and neck fellows in the UK.
Mr Kusanale has presented at regional, national and international conferences and published in national and international peer reviewed journals.
- Extraction of impacted teeth, Dental implants, retained roots, orthodontic exposure of teeth and complex dentoalveolar cases.
- Cyst and tumour removal
- Lymph node sampling (Sentinel Lymph node biopsy) for head and neck melanoma and oral cancer staging and management
- Facial Pain and Jaw joint surgery/management of jaw joint problems
- Free flaps for cancer surgery
- Oral Medicine: White patches, lumps and ulcers
- Salivary gland diseases including cancer, stones, and minimally invasive treatment (Sialendoscopy)
- Post trauma deformity
- Non- surgical facial rejuvenation: Botox, Fillers
- Surgical facial rejuvenation and reanimation: Facelifts, Brow lifts, Blepharoplasty
- Skin cancer: Diagnosis and treatment. Reconstruction with grafts and flaps following Mohs surgery
- Facial injuries: Both soft and hard tissue injuries including orbits, cheek bones and jaw bones
- Cancer of mouth /jaws and neck
- Nasal reconstruction and nose reshaping (rhinoplasty)
- Benign tumours and conditions affecting the jaw
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Member of British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Member of Association of Facial Plastic Surgeons
- Member of European Association of Craniomaxillofacial Surgeons
- Member of International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons