Dr Ayesha Akbar joined the St Mark’s consultant physician staff in 2010. Her clinical interests include general gastroenterology with a focus in inflammatory bowel disease. She also has an interest in abdominal pain and irritable bowel syndrome.
She is involved in service development including setting up a community gastroenterology service with the local PCT and has an interest in patient care and satisfaction.
Ayesha is actively involved in education, teaching and research and sits on the following committees/advisory boards:
- North West London Hospitals Drugs and Therapeutics Committee
- The British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) Neurogastroenterology Committee
- London Inflammatory Bowel Disease Interest Group
- IBD Ahead Programme (consensus working party to establish optimising monitoring of patients with Crohn's disease)
- IBD Connect Programme (International meeting learning the skills of Motivational Interviewing)
- British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) Clinical Studies Group
She undertook her specialist training in general medicine and gastroenterology in London, and has gained valuable experience from leading institutions including Hammersmith Hospital, Royal London Hospital, UCH and St James’s University Hospital.