Mr Flanagan is a Consultant Podiatric (Foot & Ankle) Surgeon providing a comprehensive range of foot and ankle surgery. His initial academic surgical training was undertaken in Scotland with higher surgical training in Northamptonshire and Manchester.
Mr Flanagan spent sent several years at the Harvard / Cambridge alliance in Boston and in Tuttlingen, Germany where he did extensive training and gained experience in trauma and reconstructive surgery, and he was the recipient of the Faculty of Podiatric Surgery travelling fellowship in Connecticut, USA.
Mr Flanagan has also gained post fellowship experience in limb salvage and preservation surgery prior to taking on his a full time consultant position in Northamptonshire.
In addition to his NHS practice Mr Flanagan is a trustee and medical advisor to the British Dupuytren’s Society and leads the undergraduate surgery program for podiatry at The University of Northampton. He is also external program assessor for postgraduate podiatric surgical training at Queen Margaret University Edinburgh.
As part of his dedication to providing the best possible care and treatment for his patients Mr Flanagan keeps an active research and audit profile of his work. A recent audit of the outcome of his surgery noted that 94% of patients would have still chosen to have surgery with 93% of patients’ noting that their foot was ‘better’ or ‘much better’ following surgery.
- Health & Care Professions Council
- Faculty of Podiatric Surgery
- Association of Diabetic Foot Surgeons
- Bunion (hallux valgus) surgery
- Surgery for deformed toes eg hammertoe deformity
- Mortons Neuroma
- Joint fusion
- Surgical treatment of arthritis of the foot
- Steroid injection of the foot & ankle
- Tendon disorders eg Achilles
- Plantar fibromatosis (Ledderhose Disease)
- Cysts, ganglions and other lumps of the foot
- Flatfoot reconstruction
- Heel pain eg plantar fasciitis
NHS and/ or University Posts
- Consultant Podiatric Surgeon – Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Honorary Consultant Podiatric Surgeon – Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Associate Lecturer – University of Northampton
- External Program Assessor (MSc Podiatric Surgery) – Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Clinical research and papers