Works as a consultant thoracic surgeon in the regional department of Thoracic Surgery at the University Hospitals Birmingham, The Queen Elizabeth.
After completing the basic surgical training at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital in London, he gained the membership of the Royal College of Surgeons and Physician in Glasgow in 2003. Between 2005 and 2008, he completed ground breaking research at the prestigious Cardiothoracic Surgery Research Department, Rayne Institute, ST Thomas’ Hospital, London and was awarded a PhD from Kings’ College London in 2014.
He entered the National Training Program in Cardiothoracic Surgery in 2010 and gained experience in cardiac and thoracic surgery in centres of excellence in the Midlands, Wales, London and Edinburgh. He was awarded the Fellowship of Cardiothoracic Surgery of England in Cardiothoracic Surgery (FRCS CTh).
He was a visiting fellow to the University Hospitals of Leicester where he gained experience in the management of Mesothelioma, Laser Metastatectomy, Emphysema Surgery and complex and minimally invasive lung cancer surgery.
He worked as a consultant at University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff where he gained valuable experience in VATS lung resection, the treatment of minimally invasive Pectus Excavatum and Carinatum surgery and bracing. He was part of the team who pioneered the minimally invasive surgery of Pectus Carinatum in the UK.
In Birmingham, he started the Diaphragm Centre with multidisciplinary team and pioneered the dual cavity minimally invasive double crown repair “the Birmingham Technique” jointly with general surgery for the treatment of diaphragmatic hernia. He introduced the minimally invasive diaphragm plication for phrenic nerve palsy and laser metastatectomy to Birmingham.
He is the surgical member of the regional emphysema MDT and mesothelioma MDT.
He is the co-director of the internationally renowned Birmingham Review Course in Cardiothoracic surgery and member of multiple national and international professional organisations
He is an innovator and pioneer in cardiothoracic surgery and he developed multiple inventions in the field.
- General thoracic surgery and the following condition
- Surgery for lung cancer: VATS lobectomy, sleeve resection, segmentectomy and pneumonectomy, bronchoscopy and airway stenting
- Diaphragm: VATS Diaphragm plication and minimally invasive hernia repair
- Pectus Excavatum: Nuss, Ravitch and suction bell.
- Pectus Carinatum: Abramson, Ravitch and bracing.
- Pneumothorax and Bullous disease: Bullectomy, pleurectomy
- Interstitial lung disease: lung biopsy.
- Metastatic disease: pulmonary metastatectomy
- Mediastinal disease: thymectomy, mediastinoscopy.
- Emphysema: Lung volume reduction surgery, Endobronchial valve
- Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons of GB and Ireland
- European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery