Mr James Fernandes
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
MBBS,D’Orth,MS Orth,M.ch Orth Liverpool,DNB Orth, FRCS Tr & Orth
Practices at: BMI Thornbury Hospital
Mr James A Fernandes has had broad training in general Orthopaedics in India, Liverpool and Sheffield in the UK, with further double fellowship training in paediatric orthopaedics and limb reconstruction at Sheffield Childrens Hospital a Centre of Excellence. He has been a visiting fellow at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, Dallas; Boston Children’s Hospital; International centre for limb lengthening, Baltimore; Ilizarov Institute of Limb Reconstruction, Kurgan, Siberia; Paley’s Advanced institute of limb lengthening, West Palm Beach, Florida.
- National Paediatric Orthopaedic Fellowship, Sheffield Children’s hospital, 1998
- Paediatric Limb Reconstruction Fellowship, Sheffield Children’s hospital, 1996-97
- Senior Registrar, Royal Liverpool Children’s Hospital, Jan – June 1996
He is presently a Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Sheffield Childrens NHS Trust delivering paediatric orthopaedics and limb reconstruction services including special interest in foot and ankle surgery since 2000. He is also a honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer ,University of Sheffield
Positions of additional responsibility:
- 2016-18 Past President of the British Limb Reconstruction Society
- 2015-18 Executive committee member British society for Children's Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2014-2018 Secretary of the World ASAMI -BR
- 2010 -16 Orthopaedic member and treasurer of the UK Skeletal dysplasia group 2009 -12 Secretary of the British Limb Reconstruction Society
- 2008-ongoing Examiner at the Intercollegiate Board examinations and an Expert to NICE, UK.
- 2012-15 Training Programme Director and Chairman of STC,South Yorkshire T&O rotation
- 2009-12 Academic Training Programme Director, South Yorkshire T&O rotation
His paediatric special interests are in DDH, CTEV, limb reconstruction, congenital birth defects PFFD, Fibular Hemimelia, Congenital Pseudoarthroses of Tibia, Skeletal dysplasias especially Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Perthe’s disease and post traumatic deformities.
He also specialises in adult foot and ankle disorders including forefoot surgery i.e. Hallux Valgus (bunion), Metatarsalgia and toe deformities in his private practice at BMI Thornbury Hospital.
Professional MembershipsCollege Memberships:
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- British Limb Reconstruction Society (BLRS),
- British Society of Children's Orthopaedic surgery (BSCOS)
- British Orthopaedic Foot and ankle society (BOFAS)
- Skeletal Dysplasia Group, UK
- World ASAMI –BR,ILLRS
- World Orthopaedic concern,UK
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)