Mr James A Fernandes has had broad training in general Orthopaedics in India, Liverpool and Sheffield in the UK, with further double fellowship training in paediatric orthopaedics and limb reconstruction at Sheffield Childrens Hospital a Centre of Excellence. He has been a visiting fellow at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, Dallas; Boston Children’s Hospital; International centre for limb lengthening, Baltimore; Ilizarov Institute of Limb Reconstruction, Kurgan, Siberia; Paley’s Advanced institute of limb lengthening, West Palm Beach, Florida.
- National Paediatric Orthopaedic Fellowship, Sheffield Children’s hospital, 1998
- Paediatric Limb Reconstruction Fellowship, Sheffield Children’s hospital, 1996-97
- Senior Registrar, Royal Liverpool Children’s Hospital, Jan – June 1996
He is presently a Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Sheffield Childrens NHS Trust delivering paediatric orthopaedics and limb reconstruction services including special interest in foot and ankle surgery since 2000. He is also a honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer ,University of Sheffield
Positions of additional responsibility:
- 2016-18 Past President of the British Limb Reconstruction Society
- 2015-18 Executive committee member British society for Children's Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2014-2018 Secretary of the World ASAMI -BR
- 2010 -16 Orthopaedic member and treasurer of the UK Skeletal dysplasia group 2009 -12 Secretary of the British Limb Reconstruction Society
- 2008-ongoing Examiner at the Intercollegiate Board examinations and an Expert to NICE, UK.
- 2012-15 Training Programme Director and Chairman of STC,South Yorkshire T&O rotation
- 2009-12 Academic Training Programme Director, South Yorkshire T&O rotation