Dr Mujahid Saeed, MBBS, MRCP(UK)(Endocrinology and Diabetes), FRCP(UK), AHEA is a Consultant Physician and Diabetologist at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, University Hospital Birmingham. He is an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Medical and Dental Services, University of Birmingham.
He undertook his undergraduate medical training at Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad, Pakistan and was the top academic student based on aggregate marks throughout medical school. He was awarded 5 gold medals and topped several subjects at medical school.
He underwent his junior doctor training in East Anglia. He then trained in General (Internal) Medicine & Endocrinology and Diabetes at the prestigious and world renowned Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism (OCDEM). He was appointed as a Consultant Physician and Diabetologist at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham in 2010.
He offers the following private services:
- Weight loss treatment
- Management of type 1 & 2 diabetes, insulin pump therapy & CGMS
- DAFNE & carbohydrate-counting
- High blood pressure and cholesterol treatment
- Steroid-induced diabetes
- Preparing for bariatric surgery
- Diabetes & driving (Group 1 & Group 2 licenses)
- Diabetic foot disease, including painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy & Charcot’s
- Supporting diabetes care of admitted patients
- Post-transplant diabetes
- MODY diabetes
- Adolescent diabetes
- Preparing patients for fasting (Ramadan)
- Various diabetes complications (eye, kidney, foot, gastroparesis & postural hypotension)
- Hypo-/hyper-thyroidism/Graves’ (over and underactive thyroid)
- Erectile dysfunction (impotence) & male hypogonadism
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Addison’s disease
- General Medical conditions, including cellulitis
His NHS activities involve managing patients in general medicine, including inpatient endocrine patients, and several sub-specialities within diabetes (see ‘Clinical Interests’ section).
He is the Lead on Diabetic foot disease (including painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy and Charcot's).
He has an active interest in research and has run studies on new diabetes therapies, South Asians, Ramadan, diabetic feet and the FreeStyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoring System). He has several publications in peer-reviewed diabetes journals. He is an author of diabetes guidelines and a book.
He has delivered various presentations, which include the media (TV) and national, regional and local conferences/meetings. He has organised training events, including patient education.
He is heavily involved with medical student and post-graduate doctor training. He is a member of the Specialist Training Committee (STC) that oversees the training of Specialist Registrars in Endocrinology and Diabetes in the West Midlands.
Language skills: English, Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi, Hindko, Mirpuri, Arabic and other languages (with interpreter).