What is hip injection treatment?
Hip injection treatment is an injection into the hip joint itself. It is performed in the operating theatre with the use of X-ray guidance.
It may be used to aid in diagnosing what is causing problems in the hips as well as a therapeutic treatment to reduce inflammation present in the hip joint.
How does hip injection treatment work?
The hip injection treatment may use either local anaesthesia or a combination of local anaesthesia and steroid.
It may be used as a method to detect the source of pain. For example, if the patient no longer feels the pain after the hip injection has been administered, the consultant then may diagnose the hip as the cause of pain.
It may also be used to reduce pain and inflammation in the hip, which is commonly associated with arthritis.
What will happen during my consultation?
When you meet with your consultant surgeon they'll ensure that you have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have about your hip injection. They will discuss with you what'll happen before, during and after the procedure and any pain you might have. Take this time to ensure your mind is put at rest. We know that having an operation of any type can be stressful so we've created a short downloadable guide that you might find useful to print off and use to write down any questions you may have. Do take this with you to your consultation.
What are the benefits?
The benefits of hip injection treatment are those of confirming a potential diagnosis, and potentially having pain relief, which may be medium term.
How safe is the treatment?
The hip injection treatment is very safe with this being a insertion of a needle through the skin into the hip joint with minimal risk and complications.
Paying for your operation
Hip injection costs are covered by most medical insurance policies, but please check with your insurer first. If you are paying for your own treatment the cost of the operation will be explained and confirmed in writing when you book the operation. Ask the hospital for a quote beforehand, and ensure that this includes the surgeon’s fee, the anaesthetist’s fee and the hospital charge for your procedure.
What other kinds of hip operations, treatments and procedures do BMI Healthcare carry out?
- Hip replacement surgery Hip replacement surgery is one of the most successful orthopaedic operations carried out in this area of medicine.
- Hip debridement, this is where there may be an abnormality of the hip joint through excessive bone or abnormal tissue...
- Hip resurfacing is a bone-conserving alternative to total hip replacement for young and active patients...
- A hip revision, or total hip replacement is an operation to take out your old hip replacement and put in a new one...
- Total replacement surgery , Computer assisted navigation is a recent and most significant development in joint replacement and orthopaedic surgery of the 21st Century...