Mr Palaniappa Shanmugaraju (PGS Raju) studied medicine at the Coimbatore Med-ical School in Madras University, India graduating in 1978. He Came to the United Kingdom in 1981 and received his basic surgical training in Stoke-on-Trent. He com-pleted FRCS from Edinburgh in 1984 and carried out Urological Training in West Midlands and West Yorkshire.
Mr Raju’s first Consultant Urologist appointment was in Lanarkshire in Scotland in 1996. Subsequently relocated to Croydon University Hospital in 1998. During this period, Mr Raju was responsible for developing New Services such as Hematuria Clinic, Andrology Clinic, Radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer, Ureteroscopy and Laser treatment of Urinary Tract stones and Laparoscopic Nephrectomy for Re-nal cancer. Simultaneously, Mr Raju started his Private works BMI Shirley Oaks hospital from 1999.
Mr Raju provides a comprehensive Urological Service. Special interests are, Endo-urology for Kidney and Ureteric stones with Laser, Prostate Diseases including TUR Prostate and TUR Bladder Tumour.
He is actively involved in the Audit of TUR Prostate, Laser stones and in the Quality Maintenance of Urology.
Procedures carried out
- Diagnostic endoscopic examination of bladder (rigid and flexible cystoscopy) including any biopsy
- Urethral dilatation in women
- Endoscopic resection of prostate (TUR) (including cystoscopy)
- Endoscopic resection of bladder tumour (TUR) (including cystoscopy)
- Bladder neck incision
- CircumcisionAdults only
- Endoscopic insertion/removal of prosthesis into ureter (including bilateral pyelography)
- Ureteroscopic extraction of calculus of ureter (including cystoscopy and insertion/removal of stent)
- Internal urethrotomy for urethral stricture in men (including cystoscopy +/- dilation)
- Removal of prosthesis from ureter (including cystoscopy)
- Correction / Repair of hydrocele(s) l
- Removal of Epididymal cysts
- Removal of Scrotal lumps /Scrotal cysts
- Reversal Vasectomy
- Endoscopic retrograde pyelography (including cystoscopy)