At BMI Healthcare we offer a comprehensive treatment plan for patients with respiratory conditions. These include acute exacerbations as well as the management of long term chronic respiratory conditions in an inpatient and/or outpatient environment.
How can it help?
We provide advice and information about many aspects of your condition, and can help you develop strategies to cope better with:
- Shortness of breath
- Clearing secretions
- Fatigue/tiredness as a result of breathlessness
- Tasks that are difficult to perform, and ways to make tasks easier
- Changes in independence - aiming to get fitter and stronger and remain as independent as possible
- Supplementary oxygen
All these strategies are delivered with the aim to enable you to have a lifestyle that is enjoyable and functional as is possible and to continue doing the activities that you want to do.
Who will it benefit?
The respiratory physiotherapy service offered includes a comprehensive assessment, advice and treatment plan for patients with respiratory conditions including:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Disordered breathing (Hyperventilation)
The outpatient service is provided in either an individual or group format, depending on the structure most suitable for the patient. We also extend our service to provide pulmonary rehabilitation, hydrotherapy and Pilates for breathing disorders, postural and pelvic floor muscle exercises if indicated during the assessment.
How does it work?
Some examples of techniques that the physiotherapist will use:
- Breathing exercises
- Positions to relieve breathlessness
- Activities and exercise
- Secretion clearance techniques
- Relaxation techniques
Referrals can be made by the patients GP or Respiratory Consultant; the first appointment is for one hour.